Thursday, March 22, 2007

Singleton Rodeo and Rotary Conference

Another two weeks and things are busy!

Not this past weekend but the one before I went to the Singleton Countryfest with Jade and Mitch. A nice relaxing weekend, the festival comprised a rodeo and also the National Wife Carrying Competitions (World Championship to be held in Finland). It was truly a quirky Australian thing, with husbands (or partners) throwing their wives over their backs and navigating an obstacle course, culminating in a run through a deep pool. Also at the rodeo we picked up a little Kelpie puppy who we named Cougar, and is this ever a cute dog! Unfortunately we had to give it away as our neighbours wanted it, and we already have four dogs. We can still visit it, but!

Another boring week of school, blah blah blah, and then on Friday we had the Rotary District 9670 Conference held also in Singleton. On Friday night we stayed at a Singleton Rotarian's house (all the boys) and we got to meet the three new Brasilian inbounds! We should all have a great time together on the big trip!!!

Saturday morning we drove down to Myuna Bay which is on Lake Macquarie (so we pretty much went back and forth from Singleton to Newcastle) to just relax, enjoy each other's company, practise for a skit we were to put on the next day, and review things for the big trip. It was very humid and warm and we got some good rain, and the karaoke was fun as well!

Very early Sunday morning we drove BACK to Singleton to put on our presentation, which went extremely well and was enjoyed by all the Rotarians. Li Cunxin was the guest speaker as well, and he presented his emotional story compellingly.

Then on Tuesday I went into town and spontaneously decided to go surfing! It is not as easy as it looks, and I must admit I didn't even get up on a wave, but I will try again!!! Next time with a rash shirt on....

Its so hard to believe that I have less than four months left. I have no idea what it's going to be like to go home, but it does not feel like I've been here that long at all; even memories of living out west seem disconnected from me - like my time in Warren and my time in Newcastle are separate exchanges. I'm in the midst of brainstorming what to do after my final year of high school at home, and doing university overseas is looking really promising at this point, preferably in Europe, although there are quite a few factors that will contribute to my decision. The way I see it is that my further education is an investment I'll most likely have to make, so I mine as well earn that education in an environment that interests me and one where I can see a new part of the world as well. I'm so excited about my future!

I have a few busy weekends coming up, what with birthday parties (including my own), and I hope to get out hunting eventually, hopefully sooner than later. And I haven't been to Sydney in a while.....

Thanks for tuning in! If anyone reads this from home, please email me or myspace me or something so I can be kept updated! It does get lonely sometimes, and I haven't heard from many people from school the whole time I've been here....

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue Durocher said...

Carl.... i created an account just so i could leave you a message. i lost your email address so i couldnt send you an email, and i wanted to tell you that i check your BLOG and your picture album weekly. I LOVE your writings. You have an entertaining way with words. I tell brandi when you have new writing out, so she can read them. Brandi has been very busy this year. some of her classes have lots of work. Chemistry and College Comp. seem to be the most work, but shes doing really well.

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home