Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What else has been happening?


I've given a basic overview of life here. But what have I actually been up to?

I've gone to the Warrumbungle Mountains, to a sports carnivale WAY out in the Outback in Bourke, to the Gunnedah AgQuip, to the metropolis of Dubbo (nearest large city at 40,000 people) quite a few times, and finally, to lovely Newcastle, among other things. I absolutely love Newcastle. The first time I went was for a one day Rotary briefing with the other inbound exchange students who, by the way, are AMAZING. So I didn't get to see too much of Newcastle. The next time I went was at the beginning of school holidays just a few weeks ago. Another exchange briefing, although this one longer, at comparatively tropical Tocal. The setting was beautiful, and I really got to know all of the other inbounds. I was lucky to stay with a Rotarian a few days before and after the actual briefing and they were nice enough to really drive me around Newcastle, go to the fish market, etc. Although around 500,000 people live in the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie area, it still retains a small-town, friendly feel. And it's right on the coast! How could you not like it? The only bad thing is that it's 5.5 hours drive from Warren. Not to worry; I'm moving to a suburb of Newcastle in January as part of my exchange!

The last time I was in Newcastle was this past week. I stayed with a lovely host family of another exchange student, and I finally had time to just see the area on a relaxed basis. They were so kind and took me to Nelson Bay where we watched dolphins, and I finally got to go swimming on Newcastle Beach!

Horse racing is pretty big in Australia. My second host family in Warren sponsored the Cattlemen's Cup horse race at the local course in early September. People really get dressed up and into the aura of hospitality more than the races themselves, but it was a great first race for me! There's a larger race, the Cotton Cup, coming up in November which I'll also surely attend.

Finally, I've been helping out at the Warren Nursery Cafe lately. Ever since I started work experience through school there, I've loved it! It keeps me busy when things can get a bit dull, and I find it a great way to meet people in the town.

I shall try to upload some pictures for view on the site here. Unforunately there are bandwith restrictions on this computer's connection, but as soon as I can I will.

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home